Pages

The Big Carrot (A Minnesota Short Story - 1958) Reedited 3-2009 (In English and Spanish)

[186 Cayuga St., St. Paul, Minnesota: 1958]

Ernest Brandt, who was my mother's admirer for some forty-years, begin out my abstruse if I was eleven years old, aback in the summer of '58, in St. Paul, Minnesota. He had about bisected acre of acreage in the city, and a big garden and he gave me a baby area of it, to abound carrots.

Well, I was grateful, and so I approved to archetype him by burying my seeds in a amount of rows: not too abutting to anniversary other, and not too far apart, and I'd aces out the weeds, baptize my application in the garden, and so alternating and so on; but my carrots just didn't abound like his: but my backbiting did.

Well, we lived next aperture to anniversary other; an abandoned lot afar the houses. In any case, it wasn't a continued backpack to his garden: just a abbreviate airing beyond the acreage and a simple jump over his fence.

So it was that that every so generally I'd go and analysis on my garden to see how my carrots were accomplishing and they were not accomplishing actual well, not compared to his anyhow. Therefore, this one day, summer day, in 1958 my mother had just appear down to appointment him (he could see her walking from our home to his), and so I knew he'd not be aback in the garden for the blow of the evening. They took turns traveling to anniversary other's houses, but as time went on, and I got older, it seemed she adopted his house, conceivably because of my grandpa and his orneriness.

In any case, Ernest went into his house, and I got to searching at his garden, comparing it to mine, aback they were ancillary by side, and he had abounding altered vegetables growing in his garden, but somehow I was added absorbed in how his carrots were growing. The top of his carrots were as annular as my writs, and abundance were as annular as my thumb: this was not just, not fair by any means, so I felt, and backbiting set into me, like white on rice.

Consequently, I looked actuality and there, mostly at the backdoor that advance out to a board platform, an accessible balustrade affectionate of, to see if Ernie was coming, and he wasn't. Carefully I dug about a big allotment of his, pulled it out, from the aback row by the fence, absolutely I thought, he'd not absence this one simple big allotment a part of so many. Again I bedlam the clay about it so he'd not apprehend any bedraggled accomplishments were played on him (but activity is never so sweet, and simple, is it: what goes about comes around, and if it does it generally smashes appropriate into you).

So the accomplishment was done, and I went aback home to watch television with grandpa-I hid a few apples in the ancillary of the daybed as I usually did so grandpa would not see them, because beyond from me he sat, watching me as usual, like a hawk, and watching television as usual, a western as he admired a lot of often, and if he'd atom my fruit, he'd say, "Vhen you e'er goin' to stop eatin' ?" his aqueduct bisected out of his mouth, as if it was traveling to bead any minute on the floor, bisected lit he'd put it in the ashtray afire slowly, sit aback in his daybed armchair again, refocus on his western.

Accordingly I'd adumbrate the blow of my fruit, and he'd anticipate I was bistro my aboriginal angel or orange all the time, and that was it, and not be the wiser to my little artifice until I was adventurous abundant to get up and go out to the kitchen accessible the blatant refrigerator, and who could adumbrate that charade, yet it would be my fifth or sixth.

Anyhow, about 9:30 PM, my mother came home with Ernie, he consistently absolved her home, and they were in the kitchen. My mother asked me to appear in the kitchen for a moment, and every time she asked that, I knew I was in trouble. And I was in trouble, and I did go into the kitchen. Ernie was there with a big allotment in his hand, for a moment I anticipation it was just some vegetables from his garden he'd generally accompany over to the abode for my grandpa or mother, and he said:

"Does this attending familiar?"

"No," I said, "Why?" (But of advance it did attending actual familiar.)

"I anticipate it does," said my mother, with a hawk's eye, that looked through me.

"Well," she said, "Ernie begin this in your garden, and for some odd acumen it didn't assume to accord there with all your little carrots."

I had replanted it you see, cerebration how appreciative I'd be to appearance it off later.

"Yup," I said (I couldn't allocution my way out of it I knew), adding, "I, I didn't anticipate demography one allotment would matter, I beggarly you got all the big ones, I got alone baby ones."

Perhaps a little argumentation to my statement, but absolutely not absolution for the annexation and I assumption that is what it absolutely was. Now that I attending back, I anticipate they were aggravating to authority aback the amusement of the situation, but it was burglary nonetheless, and it had to be dealt with. Little white sins, or distortions, or deletions, they all add up afterwards a while and become big white sins, and again who knows area it could go, or advance into to, and I'm abiding that is what my mother was thinking. But I would never accept fabricated a thief; I got bent all the time that is the few times I approved to get abroad with something.

"Didn't it assume accessible that it would angle out?" asked my mother (I anticipate my backbiting addled me). I artlessly shrugged my shoulders, I wasn't cerebration logically.

I looked a bit afraid for getting caught; I assumption I was sorrier for getting caught, beneath apologetic for demography the carrot: in any case, I said, "I never anticipation of it." And that was the truth.

Written in St. Paul, Minnesota, 9-24-2005/revised 3-3009

Spanish Version

La Zanahoria Grande

[Calle Cayuga # 186, San Pablo, Minnesota: 1958]

Ernesto Brandt, quien fue el enamorado de mi madre por cerca de cuarenta años, descubrió mi secreto cuando yo tenía already años de edad, allá en el verano de 1958 en San Pablo, Minnesota, Estados Unidos. Él tenía cerca de medio acre de terreno en la ciudad y un jardín grande y él me había dado una pequeña sección de este para plantar zanahorias.

Bueno, yo estaba muy agradecido y por eso traté de imitarlo plantando mis semillas en varias filas, no tan cerca uno del otro y no tan separadas tampoco, y yo le sacaba la mala hierba, regaba el trozo del jardín, etc.; mas mis zanahorias no crecían como las de él, pero mi envidia sí.

Bien, vivíamos uno cerca del otro; con un terreno vacío que separaba las casas. En todo caso, no era una larga caminata hacia su jardín; sólo un corto recorrido a través del campo y un simple salto sobre su cerco.

Por eso era que cada cierto tiempo iba a revisar mi jardín para ver cómo iban mis zanahorias y ellas no estaban muy bien, no comparadas con las de él, en todo caso. Así que, este día de verano en 1958, mi madre justo había bajado a visitarlo (él la podía ver caminando hacia su casa) y por eso yo sabía que él no volvería al jardín por el resto de la tarde. Ellos se turnaban yendo a la address del otro, pero mientras el tiempo pasaba y yo crecía, parecía que ella prefería ir a la address de él, talvez debido a mi abuelo y a su mal carácter.

En todo caso, Ernesto entró en su casa, y yo me quedé mirando a su jardín, comparándolo con el mío, ya que ellos estaban uno al lado del otro, y él tenía muchos vegetales creciendo en su jardín, pero de alguna forma yo estaba más interesado en ver cómo sus zanahorias iban creciendo. La parte de arriba de sus zanahorias eran tan redondas como mis muñecas, mientras que las mías eran tan redondas como mi pulgar; esto no era justo, no por ningún medio, eso yo sentía, y la envidia se apoderó de mi, como mi sombra.

Consecuentemente, miré aquí y allá, más que aught hacia la puerta de atrás que conducía afuera a una plataforma de madera, una especie de terraza abierta, para ver si Erni estaba viniendo, y él no lo estaba. Cuidadosamente escarbe alrededor de una de sus zanahorias grandes, y la jalé, de la fila trasera del cerco. Pensé que seguramente él no notaría esta simple zanahoria grande entre muchas otras. Luego rellené el hueco con tierra, así él no sabría que alguien le había jugado un acto sucio (pero la vida no siempre es tan dulce y simple, es: lo que va, viene y regresa, y cuando esto sucede a menudo choca directo en ti)

Entonces el hecho estaba dado y volví a address a ver televisión con mi abuelo-escondí unas cuantas manzanas por el lado del sofá, como usualmente lo hacía para que mi abuelo no las viera, porque él se sentaba al frente de mi, mirándome como un halcón como siempre, y viendo una película del oeste como frecuentemente a él le gustaba, y cuando él miraba a mi fruta decía "¡cuándo vas a parar de comer!" su pipa casi la mitad afuera de su boca, como si se iba a caer al piso en cualquier memento, él la ponía sobre el cenicero medio encendida quemándose lentamente, y se sentaba de nuevo en su sofá centrándose en su película del oeste de nuevo

En consecuencia yo escondía el resto de mi fruta, y él pensaba que yo estaba comiendo mi primera manzana o naranja todo el tiempo, y no descubría mi pequeña estratagema hasta que yo fuera lo suficientemente valiente para levantarme y salir a la cocina a abrir el refrigerador ruidoso, y quién podría ocultar aquella charada, aunque sería mi acreage o sexta fruta.

En todo caso, alrededor de las 9:30 de la noche, mi madre vino con Erni, él siempre la acompañaba de regreso a casa, y ellos estaban en la cocina. Mi madre me pidió que fuera a la cocina por unos minutos. Cada vez que ella me pedía esto yo sabía que estaba en problemas. Y estaba en problemas, y fui a la cocina. Erni estaba allí con una zanahoria grande en sus manos, por un keepsake pensé que eran sólo algunos vegetales de su jardín, ya que él frecuentemente traía algunos a la address para mi abuelo o mi madre, y él dijo:

"¿Te parece esto familiar?"

"No" le dije, "porqué" (pero por supuesto que este me parecía muy familiar)

"Creo que sí lo es" dijo mi madre, con unos ojos de halcón que me traspasaban.

"Bueno" ella dijo, "Erni encontró esto en tu jardín y por alguna rara razón parecía que esta no pertenecía allí con todas tus pequeñas zanahorias".

Yo lo había replantado, ya ves, pensando cuán orgulloso estaría de mostrarlo más adelante.

"Si" dije (sabía que no podía escaparme) añadiendo "Yo, yo no pensé que sacando una zanahoria importaría, quiero decir que tú tienes todas esas zanahorias grandes, mientras que yo sólo tengo unas pequeñas"

Talvez era un poco de lógica a mi afirmación, pero por seguro no era una justificación por el robo y supongo que esto era en realidad. Ahora que recuerdo, creo que ellos estaban tratando de aguantarse la risa por lo gracioso de la situación, pero era un robo aught menos y tenía que ser tratado como tal. Pequeños pecados blancos, distorsiones, o supresiones, todos ellos suman después de un tiempo y se convierten en enormes pecados blancos, y luego quién sabe a dónde podrían ir, o conducir, y yo estoy seguro que eso era lo que mi madre estaba pensando. Pero nunca me hubiera convertido en un ladrón, siempre fui descubierto, es decir las pocas veces que traté de salirme con algo.

"¿No te parecía obvio que este resaltaría?" me preguntó mi madre (creo que mi envidia me cegó). Simplemente yo encogí mis hombros, no estaba pensando razonablemente.

Parecía un poco preocupado por haber sido descubierto; creo que estaba más arrepentido por haber sido descubierto y menos arrepentido por haber cogido la zanahoria; en todo caso, dije: "nunca lo pensé así." Y esa era la verdad.

Escrito en San Pablo, Minnesota el 24 de febrero del 2005. Revisado en mazo del 2009.