Pages

The Hearth In Amsterdam (1974, A Short Story)

(From Dieburg, Germany to Amsterdam, 1974)

Two badge men were benumbed down the asphalt artery on horses, alongside a architecture I stood, watching several association continuing central a building, sipping on altered kinds of wine, and I and my two twins, Cody and Shawn, just looked, one of them asked, "Dad, what they doing?"

"Tasting wine I guess.

We had just larboard the centermost of Amsterdam, breadth statues of lions were, and concluded up apprehensive the streets. A adolescent American hippie abreast the statueks asked me "Wanta-buy some pot?" and I never answered him, just kept walking.

Cody was in one arm, three years old, and Shawn in the other, and I agitated them like two sacks of potatoes off the statues, and down to earth.

It was my aboriginal time in Amsterdam, and it would not be my last, I was, twenty-seven years old, a Buck Sergeant in the Army, active in a little city-limits alleged Dieburg. I capital to yield my boys on a trip, they never absolutely fabricated abundant of fuss, and Cody was quiet all the way down on the alternation arena with his toy cars and Shawn searching actuality and there, inquisitive. I didn't accompany abundant luggage, and I declared I should accept begin a auberge first, but I didn't. I acquainted me and the boys bare some action first.

It was winter time, November, and there was a arctic in the air. In those canicule I generally just jumped up, affective some money and took off. Life was anytime so fast for me, and I admired it like that. My accommodation aback in Dieburg, Germany, was artlessly artery and blanch adhesive on the walls, too abundant to attending at every day, so I went to castles up and down the Rhine, and Mosel rivers whatever adventitious I got, and to a lot of all the countries surrounding western Germany. And this weekend was Amsterdam, and I had alternative to do so, no added assignment on the aggressive base. The railroad ran ceaseless from Dieburg, to Amsterdam, a hundred stops, but beeline through, no disembarking to get assimilate addition train.

It was now late, and the kids were tired, their active aptitude on my thighs, and falling to beddy-bye as we walked, and thus, I begin a midnight hotel, and I and the babysitter talked about the night's rent, and I argued that the night was bisected over, so he should accord it to me for bisected price. And he said no, and again he saw my kids, and conceivably was overtaken by that, and said, "Well, I'll accord you a break, I'll alone allegation you two thirds the price, and so we befuddled hands, and we had our room.

After clearing down in the rooms, my tiredness had continued faculty departed, and I anticipate the twins were aswell on their additional wind, so we went bench of the baby hotel, there was a blaze in the hearth, and I ordered myself a beer, and the boys anniversary a sandwich. Some airy arm was put on my shoulder, said

"You appear over by the hearth, accompany your boys, balmy up, and alcohol with us."

I angry about and it was an earlier man, he had a smile with a breeze to it, it was contagious, and I smiled back. Shawn and Cody were on anniversary ancillary of me, anniversary on a abstracted leg, chewing abroad on their ham sandwiches.

The actuality now was, we'd be absolutely annoyed tomorrow, but the railroad ran aback to Germany about alternate so I acquainted if I overslept, no problem, I'd bolt a after alternation out of Amsterdam. Thus, light-headed, I sat with my boys, the blaze crackling, balmy calefaction assimilation through my pants, my legs getting broiled up, the ablaze from the address was like sparkling firecrackers, and I could accept hugged those three advisers for agreeable me over to the heath.

There were a few ladies in the background, whom seemed to alluvion actuality and there, one a waitress charwoman up things, in fact the bar was closed, and it was just this accumulation of guys by the hearth. A cat and a dog lying abreast the fireplace, but kept their ambit as if not to yield the calefaction abroad from us folks. Again a woman brought me a guitar, animate I could play-I had mentioned it in casual during our conversation, and we sang some songs, I didn't accept them, but who cares if you're bisected lit up.

That evening, I put the boys to bed, and snuck alfresco for a moment, begin a bar adjacent open, and ordered a big beer in a bottle, to accompany aback to the auberge room. Two guys followed me, already out of the bar, again addition abutting him, and still another. I couldn't action all four I felt, let forth getting bisected lit, and so activity butterfingers of charging these fellows, I artlessly bankrupt the canteen adjoin a rock bank I was casual by, and now I had a weapon, and they saw it, and they talked amidst themselves, demography their eyes off me for a moment, and I affective that moment, I ran down the abandon street, couldn't acquisition my auberge at first, again it appeared out of nowhere. Accretion were campanology in my head, adamant bells, 'I fabricated it,' I fabricated it up the accomplish to the apartment, and jumped in bed or anesthetized out I can't remember, and counted myself advantageous to accept fabricated aback animate in the morning. The agitation was not unavoidable, had I backward in the auberge room, and thereafter, I did. I never seemed to claiming fate twice; I was a quick abecedarian in the breadth of survival.

Written 5-26-2008